Wednesday, September 7, 2016

First & Second School Days 2016-17

We had our first day of "school" yesterday. We just did morning school, and not even all of it.

We read the book of Jonah and explained what was going on as we went through it.

We read a chapter of Agatha Campbell's Hat by Danni McGriffith (too intense... it's been too long since I read that book! I had to soften it up quite a bit as I went!).

We practiced a verse about September:

September is a time
Of beginning for all,
Beginning of school
Beginning of fall!

Then Sissy and I went through all of her clothing and chose what to keep out and what to store. My, how we reduced her former gigantic pile of all the clothes in her size - both in season and out! This may not have been the greatest time to do it, since the seasons are changing, but we went ahead and got it over with anyway. She's had this mess of clothes to sort through every day since this spring... don't tell anyone about that, though. It's been safely hidden away in our room. Nobody is supposed to know.

I also mended the things that needed it, that she chose to keep in her current wardrobe. A mixture of warm and cold weather clothing so she is prepared for whatever the day brings as we gradually transition to winter.

At breakfast today, we discussed the story of Jonah, and the kids remembered it very well. I was happy about that!

Then we walked the few blocks down to the shop my Man's boss just bought (Yay!!!) and grabbed the car. We drove down to the dollar store (I'm so cheap) and picked up some AAA batteries for the kids' tag reader. Unfortunately, once we'd dropped the car off and walked back home, we discovered that we still couldn't get the tag reader to work. Okay, so either the dollar store batteries are total junk, or else the kids had bathed the tag reader shortly before it went into storage for an undetermined number of months. I'm not sure which. We'll have to buy good batteries, try it out again, and see if it works. I sure hope so. I didn't spend a bunch of money on the tag reader, as it was given to us, but still! It's such an awesome "toy" - fun, but educational as well. I would hate for it to be unusable.

At any rate, we practiced our September verse a couple more times while we were in the car.

And we will be reading more of Agatha Campbell's Hat at the start-out of Quiet Time.

Other plans for the day include:
Housework
Honey's wardrobe (same thing we did to Sissy's yesterday)
Son's wardrobe (")
My wardrobe (won't take as long, just a little KonMari maintenance)
Food - take care of the peaches, zucchinis, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, and beets that were given to us from several sources.

And hopefully:
Prepare for dividing everything in the house into KonMari subcategories of "Miscellaneous".
Figure out what is needed to make Honey her own bed so she doesn't have to share with Sissy anymore (I have plans... maybe I won't have to buy anything... we'll see...)
And... write a blog post

So we'll see what of that weighty list actually gets accomplished!

1 comment:

Hey there! What are your thoughts about this subject?